Thursday, March 10, 2011

Baptists

Disclaimer: Being in North Mississippi (aka Baptist headquarters) has taught me to love my brothers and sister who are Baptist. Now that that's out of the way......

Whenever I am home, my family likes to pile into the good ole family car (sometimes we take 3 cars due to lack of communication in the mornings) on Sunday's and head to our qauint church that's in town. To get to church we must go through the woods, over a bridge, and....by two Baptist churches. To paint you a picture, this churches make my massive 6A public high school look like a teacup. Now the size of these churches isn't what burns my biscuit...it's the traffic guards.



I may not be a legal expert...yet... but I am fairly certain that it takes a cop to stop and control traffic on major roads, not someone with a Velcro flasher on the hood of their Taurus. This really bothers me for some reason. Why do I and all the other lowly non-baptist have to be stopped by someone in a hunting vest so that they can let roughly 20,000 Baptists in or out of their stadium? It insures that not only will I be late for church, and thus get glances from the congregation (couple this with being the only "public school" girl the stares can be pretty piercing), but at the conclusion of the sermon the aforementioned masses of Baptists will have already sat down at ever possible restaurant resulting in a 45 minute wait everywhere.

I also get anger at the fact that this makes me anger. When I am stopped in a line of 50 cars while the "others" are getting to waved through by rent-a-cop, I start thinking mean, evil thoughts. The good angel on my right shoulder is saying "Anna, you must be patient and love everyone...especially on Sundays for goodness sake!" but the devil on my left is saying "MOW THEM OVAA!!!!"  It's quite a complex.

Now I am aware that a fellow Calvinist church in Hattiesburg stops traffic, but it is done via Hattiesburg Police and they never allow traffic to build up. And besides, we're predestined so we can do whatever we want, right? PRESBYTERIANS TO THE TOP!!!!

So, there is my rant.

1 comment:

  1. haha this made me laugh. I'm go to Temple( a.k.a most definitely one of the churches you mentioned...no offense taken though!) and i'm also Calvinist. I completely understand though....the traffic situation is crazy.Sorry from all of us :/

    ReplyDelete